Pita bread is served at just about every meal in the Middle East. It can be used for dipping, or to make delicious sandwhiches in the pocket. Here we are making sandwiches .
- Whole wheat flour -1 cup
- Dry yeast -1/2 tsp
- Luke warm water -1/4 cup
- Salt -1/4 tsp
For the pita fillings:
- Sprinkle yeast over luke warm water and leave it for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the yeast becomes frothy,mix it into the flour with salt and knead into a soft dough.
- Cover with a wet cloth and leave for 4-5 hours till the dough rises.(rising of the dough is very important for pita to have a pocket).
- Roll dough into flat round or oval rotis.
- Cook them over a tawa on both sides till light brown.
- Remove from heat and pile one on top of the other.(so that they become soft)
- Cut into half and make pockets.
- Fill with lettuce, tomatoes and paneer.Then sprinkle salt and pepper over it.
- optional:coriander chutney and yoghurt can be added for taste.