This is a very common South Indian dish which serves as an accompaniment to an assortment of dishes from idlis and dosas to chitranna and vangibath.
- Fresh coconut(shredded)- 2 cups (or the coconut can be cut into thin slices)
- Mustard seeds-1tsp
- Urad dal-2tsp
- Channa dal-1 tsp
- Dry Red chilles-2
- Green Chilies-2
- Curry leaves 6-7
- A pinch of hing (asoefetida)
- Lemon juice-1tsp
- Half cup of coriander(chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Heat some oil and add mustard seeds.when they crackle, add the dals and the red chillies.now add green chillies ,curry leaves and chopped coriander .
- Add this to the coconut and blend into a smooth paste.Add salt to taste.Goes well with dosas, idli and plain rice.
- Water can be added depending on the consistency you want.